Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My Wife, and Acts of Love

I heard an interesting teaching on the radio this evening. The teacher stated that it is wrong to think that one day we will "escape " this earthly life and start a new life in heaven. The speaker averred that our "translation" at the end of this life is not an end and a beginning, but rather a continuation. His specific focus was that the acts of love done while in our mortal bodies would not be "lost."

I am not sure if I agree with the whole teaching, but it did make me think of my wife, and her acts of love.

My wife has washed countless loads of laundry, baby's bottoms, and children's faces. Acts of love.

My wife has cared for sick and injured humans and animals, sometimes in squalid conditions and under stressful circumstances. Her gift of healing is real, and I have been the benefactor of that gift more times than I can count. The gift is real because the love that drives and powers it is real.  Acts of love.

My wife has made a lovely home out of some pretty unlovely places. She has made curtains and clothing out of old bed sheets and cloth scraps, gourmet meals out of leftovers and gleanings, and I'm pretty sure on a few occasions she has made something out of nothing at all. Acts of love.

My wife has blessed her husband, children, friends, and even her enemies when none of us deserved it. Acts of love.

My wife has "made do", and she has done without. When she receives a blessing, she often uses it to bless someone else. Acts of love.

In a selfish, me centered world my wife has lived her life for others. When I am down she picks me up, when I am puffed up she brings me back to reality, but most importantly, she loves me, even when I am at my most unlovable.

I have done nothing to deserve this woman. I believe my wife is a gift - another expression of the love of my Heavenly Father.

I am humbled and thankful for these lavish expressions of love, and like the radio teacher, I choose to believe these acts of love will not be lost.

Faith, hope, love - these three remain. But the greatest of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment